As promised last week in my list of pet peeves, this week I’ll discuss the things that make my least favorite holiday more bearable – sometimes even enjoyable.
1. Christmas with family and friends – Some of my favorite memories are seeing my son’s eyes on Christmas morning. There’s something about the twinkle they have that seems to make it all worth it. Family Christmas is crazy town, and we all go a little overboard, but we have a great time and enjoy the chaos. My friends are the best, and it’s not because they give awesome gifts. Whether we’re playing video games or watching it snow, we always have fun.
2. Shopping Day – I hate shopping. You will never find me out on Black Friday. However, it has to be done, so my awesome RevPub partner James volunteered his company a few years ago to lend a hand. We take a Friday off from work and shop and eat. We leave at the time we’d normally go to work and come home eight or nine hours later – just like a regular work day. We run through my multiple lists, make fun of people, and have a blast. This year, the added bonus: it was Friday the 13th.
3. Buying special gifts – Although I hate to shop, I do love finding that perfect gift. It stresses me out terribly, and I plan for it all year. I love finding those unexpected things that actually surprise people. The gifts that are not on a list. And I don’t do gift cards unless the person leaves me no choice. People know when they open their gift that I put my brain and heart into it; that’s what’s important.
4. Christmas movies and specials – How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Scrooged, and While You Were Sleeping are in my top 20 favorite movies of all time. Christmas movies and cartoons are fun, lighthearted, and entertaining, and it’s an easy way to remind yourself that the world is not as crazy as it seems.
5. Lights and colors – Inflatables are a bit much, but it is nice to drive down a dark street and see a house lit in color and beauty – red, white, gold, blue, silver, and green. It’s the one time a year where color throws up all over the place and brightens things up.
Here’s my favorite traditional Christmas song, too. Enjoy!